, 2022-12-06 11:07:00,
This article was submitted by Bill Granlund and it outlines the history of courthouse buildings in Otsego County.
GAYLORD — The first courthouse was located at the site of the present county building. The frame construction was established in the 1880s and had a jail on the second floor.
In 1892, a new courthouse was built on Block 10 in the city of Gaylord, and consisted of Lots 1-2-3-4-15-16-17-18. Some of these lots were deeded with a reversion clause in them calling for the property to revert to the original owners if not used for a courthouse.
The new building was constructed of brick and stone and built in the traditional mid-central American style, with a cupola on top. The cupola was used as an aircraft spotting post during World War ll. A jail and sheriff’s living quarters were located on the bottom floor. The county offices occupied the second floor, and the court room, jury room and judges chambers were on the third floor. Later, a new front was built where the stairs were and more new office space was gained.
In the 1960s, pressure was exerted on the county to provide new jail facilities because the old jail did not meet state standards. The city of Gaylord was also suffering growing pains. City offices were located in the old auditorium as was the old library, city band and fire department. After several years of meetings and discussion between the city and county, it was decided to set up a Joint Building Authority, which was empowered to float a bond issue…
To read the original article from news.google.com, Click here