The 2022 Southwest Airlines Scholarship Program awarded 15 scholarships for a total commitment of $260,000 over four years
DALLAS, Dec. 5, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) today announced recipients for the Herbert D. Kelleher and Rollin W. King Scholarship and the Southwest Airlines Scholarship. The scholarships champion the educational pursuits of students across the country, encouraging students to soar by providing educational access through these opportunities. Through these scholarships, Southwest has committed to awarding $260,000 over four years to the following 15 recipients and, as a fun surprise, each student also received four roundtrip tickets on Southwest to help them stay connected to their families throughout the year.
- The Herbert D. Kelleher and Rollin W. King Scholarship is an internal scholarship introduced 40 years ago to honor Southwest Airlines’ founders and its namesakes by providing financial assistance to Employees’ dependents pursuing higher education.
- Recipients include:
- Erin G., University of Utah
- Madison W., Pennsylvania State University
- TaShia H., Xavier University of Louisiana
- Vanessa N., Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- The Southwest Airlines Scholarship is a community-centric scholarship that was introduced in 2021 and underscores the Company’s commitment to building a diverse talent pipeline and highlights the importance creating equitable opportunities that will impact future generations.
- Recipients include:
- Aiden C., College of Charleston
- Asher J., Stephen F. Austin State University
- Bailey P., North Carolina State University
- Bryan D., Texas Southern University
- Emily Kate F., Texas A&M University
- Isai V., California Polytechnic State University
- Jonathan R., SUNY Schenectady County Community College
- Lei H., Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Precious A., University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Raef M., UC Berkeley
- William Y., Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Daytona Beach
“We have seen the positive impact providing educational opportunities can have on both individuals and communities, and we are proud to support 15 students with scholarships this year,” said Laurie Barnett, Vice President of Communications & Outreach at Southwest Airlines. “We are excited to celebrate the 2022 recipients and welcome new applicants for the upcoming year as we continue to grow our scholarship programs for even greater impact.”
Applications for the 2023-2024 Herbert D. Kelleher and Rollin W. King Scholarship and Southwest Airlines Scholarship are now open through February 28, 2023.
Funds awarded for both of these scholarships come from the Southwest Airlines Foundation, a corporate-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation. Through the Southwest Airlines Foundation, the Company strives to affect meaningful change by investing in transformational programs and initiatives that promote equity, prosperity, and sustainability. For more about our community outreach efforts, visit southwest.com/communityoutreach.
ABOUT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO.
Southwest Airlines Co. operates one of the world’s most admired and awarded airlines, offering its one-of-a-kind value and Hospitality at 121 airports across 11 countries. Having celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2021, Southwest took flight in 1971 to democratize the sky through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel and now carries more air travelers flying nonstop within the United States than any other airline1. Based in Dallas and famous for an Employee-first corporate Culture, Southwest maintains an unprecedented record of no involuntary furloughs or layoffs in its history. By empowering its more than 64,0002 People to deliver unparalleled Hospitality, the maverick airline cherishes a passionate loyalty among as many as 130 million Customers carried a year. That formula for success brought industry-leading prosperity and 47 consecutive years3 of profitability for Southwest Shareholders (NYSE: LUV). Southwest leverages a unique legacy and mission to serve communities around the world including harnessing the power of its People and Purpose to put communities at the Heart of its success. Learn more by visiting Southwest.com/citizenship. Southwest is also continuing to develop tangible steps toward achieving carbon neutrality by 2050, including offering Customers an opportunity to help the airline offset its carbon emissions. To be part of the solution, visit Southwest.com/wannaoffsetcarbon.
1) U.S. Dept. of Transportation most recent reporting of domestic originating passengers boarded
2) Fulltime-equivalent active Employees
3) 1973-2019 annual profitability
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/southwest-airlines-awards-scholarships-to-provide-educational-opportunities-for-students-301694659.html
SOURCE Southwest Airlines Co.